NFSv4 and pam_mount - mounting user home directories (with security?)

Marek Salwerowicz salwerom at iem.pw.edu.pl
Mon Jan 10 21:26:31 UTC 2011

> I think you can stick it just before "return 0" in /etc/rc.d/nfsd.
> (I'd probably just go with the "sysctl vfs.newnfs.server_min_nfsvers=4"
> line in this case, since you want it unconditionally?)
>
> Or, if you don't want to build a kernel with "options NFSD", I think
> you can get nfsd.ko loaded early by fiddling with loader.conf, but I'm
> not volunteering to figure out what works there:-)
>
> rick

Ok, that problem has been solved ;)
In nfs_precmd it checks if the option in rc.conf is set. If yes, it tries to set the sysctl flag, it it fails, loads nfsd module and
then sets again the sysctl flag.

But I have another question - maybe you will know the answer.

So I would like NFSv4 to serve user home directories across the network for all workstations, but I would like it to protect using
user password

Eg. on workstation I want to do:

sudo mount -t nfs -o nfsv4 nfs4-server:/home/user1 /home/user1
and then I want to be asked for password of user1 at server (or in the whole network - users and passwords are stored in LDAP server
and workstation and server have access to it)

Is it possible to do with NFSv4?

--
Marek Salwerowicz