nroff -mandoc | more no longer works

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 14 15:29:32 UTC 2011

I'm guessing this relates to nroff/groff tweaks, but I was a bit unhappy to
learn that the command I've used for the last decade to render man pages while
editing them (nroff -mandoc foo.1 | more) no longer works (output below).

It seems likely this has to do with teaching groff to use ANSI escape codes
that more, by default, rejects.  I'm aware there are lots of other command
lines I could use, but it seems unfortunate that this is broken -- possibly
more should accept more escape codes in its default configuration, or nroff
should generate fewer of them?

(I'd love to see this fixed for 9.0)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge

robert at cinnamon-freebsd:/usr/src/lib/libc/sys> nroff -mandoc dup.2 | more
DUP(2)                    FreeBSD System Calls Manual                   DUP(2)

ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
      ESC[1mdupESC[22m, ESC[1mdup2 ESC[22m-- duplicate an existing file
descriptor

ESC[1mLIBRARYESC[0m
      Standard C Library (libc, -lc)

ESC[1mSYNOPSISESC[0m
      ESC[1m#include <unistd.h>ESC[0m

      ESC[4mintESC[0m
      ESC[1mdupESC[22m(ESC[4mintESC[24m ESC[4molddESC[24m);