resolvconf script overwrites entries in resolv.conf - RDNSS/DNSSL related

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Fri Aug 5 11:15:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 23:52:54 -0700, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 08/04/2011 22:59, Mattia Rossi wrote:
> > I've finally patched my 8.2 IPv6 gateway with the RDNSS/DNSSL patches
> > The script anyhow overwrites my previous manual entries in
> > /etc/resolv.conf which I need for my manual IPv4 setup...
> >
> Check 'man resolvconf.conf' for information on name_servers_append. It
> would probably be nice if there was a _prepend equivalent.

Mattia, when you say you have the patches, which ones?

To be clear, the RDNSS/DNSSL support that was committed to head was
very heavily modified from that which I proposed and which is on my
web site.  In particular, the resolvconf(8) tool that I offered was
not used at all; the version in head is the openresolv tool by Roy
Marples.  Doug's response is in regard to the resolvconf version
in head.

FWIW, the resolvconf version from my site will use the most recent
nameservers received by from either dhclient-script or rtadvd but you
can also add "static" entries using standard resolv.conf syntax in the
/var/db/resolv.db file; see the man page with that version.

I will update my RDNSS/DNSSL web page now to add a warning that my
patches have been superseded and that folk should use the committed
versions where possible.

	-jr