Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

Graham Todd gtodd at bellanet.org
Thu Apr 21 13:32:15 UTC 2011

On 04/20/2011 05:57, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> With 9.0 release approaching quickly, I believe it the best time now to
> manage migration from legacy ata(4) ATA to the new CAM-based one. New
> ATA code present in the tree for more then a year now, used by many
> people and proved it's superior functionality and reliability. The only
> major issue with it now is the migration process. Sooner or later we
> have to pass it, but due to major UI and API changes we can't do it
> after 9.0 release. So I propose to do it the next Sunday (April 24) to
> have as much time for troubleshooting as possible.
>
> I have prepared the following patch to do it:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/ata_switch.patch
>
> I haven't added geom_raid to the kernel configurations because we have
> no other GEOM classes there. But tell me if you thing I should.
>
> If somebody has any problems with new ATA stack, please repeat your
> tests with latest HEAD code and contact me if problem is still there.
> Next three weeks before BSDCan I am going to dedicate to fixing possibly
> remaining issues.

Will camcontrol replace atacontrol and somehow magically recognize the
atacontrol <command> set (list, status, info, attach/detach,etc.)?  I
haven't tried CURRENT for a while but I seem to recall that when I tried
switching over to using CAM-based ATA there were some tricks one had to do
in order to pass atacontrol commands through CAM and it didn't always
work. The subcommands for camcontrol seemed to be more SCSI-ish and
passing "raw" commands was subject to numerous local PEBKAC issues.

cheers,