Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 02:42:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 04/20/2011 15:18, Scott Long wrote:
>
>> I agree with what Alexander is saying, but I'd like to take it a step
>> further.  We should all be using [...] mount-by-label
>>

> +1
>
> When I first saw this on linux my gut reaction was "ewwww, different." But
> now that I've worked with it a bit, I really like it. Doing this by default
> in 9.0 would be a really useful step forward, and would allow greater
> innovation down the road.
>
> Is there a handy tutorial somewhere for making this change in FreeBSD? Or
> is it even possible to do in a rational way?
>

> Doug
>
> --

In Linux , if GRUB is used , with respect to my experience up to now ,
/dev/sda , /dev/sdb etc. structure is used , and changing cables of disks (
attaching it to another slot ) is preventing boot of the system because
GRUB is NOT able to find the partitions with respect to /dev/... definitions
. Here , I assume that , the user is NOT experienced sufficiently to edit
the GRUB boot definition files before such attached slot changes or the used
slot is broken unexpectedly ( requires use of a Rescue OS ) .

All of my Linux installations are based on this structure , BUT perhaps some
Linux distribution(s) which I am not using is using definitions of
partitions by labels which is a very good approach .

Thank you very much

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk