Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Apr 21 01:13:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 04/20/2011 16:01, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> Not sure I understand the question. I have a little article called
>> FreeBSD Labeled Filesystems:
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html
>
> That's a good article, but it highlights what seem to be some deficiencies in
> the various implementations. For the most part they seem ufs-centric,
> although glabel shows some promise for supporting ext2fs and msdosfs (both of
> which are workhorse file systems for me).

Multiple filesystems are supported, although the labels appear in
different places.  See 'man glabel | less -p tunefs'.  If your MS-DOS
or ext2fs filesystem is natively labeled, the system automatically
creates those labels in the appropriate directories in /dev.

> In your article you point out another thing that seems sub-optimal to
> me, different locations for different types of things which are all
> referred to as labels.

It seemed spread out to me, too.  But it hasn't been a problem, and I've
come to think of it as namespaces.