HEADS UP: Removal of libobjc from the base system

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Apr 18 06:19:05 UTC 2011

On Apr 17, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Yeah it's too outdated to be of any use.
>
> IMHO, you can axe libf2c too...

Honest question here, is there a newer version of libf2c that lives in ports and is adopted by people who use fortran?  The one that I find in the base system seems to be a similar match to the one in ports/devel/f2c.  Is the one in the base system a pain to maintain or otherwise holding back other work, or has it been made obsolete by something in ports?  Is removing it from the base system anything more than just churn?

With libobjc, the one in ports looks to indeed be a lot newer, and I'll take it on faith that the gnustep ports automatically installs it, overriding the base copy and making it essentially obsolete.

Scott