`hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature' disappeared

Nick Ulen uncle at wolfman.devio.us
Sun Apr 17 18:09:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 05:33:00PM +0200, Romain Garbage wrote:
> 2011/4/16 Nick Ulen <uncle at wolfman.devio.us>:
> > FreeBSD was successfully upgraded.
> >
> > uname -v
> > FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Apr 11 18:14:36 MSD 2011
> > root at test:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >
> > Everything seems to be working well except
> > `hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature' disappeared from the list of available
> > sysctl variables.
> >
> > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.
> >
> > hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
> > hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
> > hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 90.0C
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC1: -1
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC2: -1
> > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TSP: -1
> >
> > output from:
> > sysctl -a |grep acpi
> > is here: https://privatepaste.com/ca08d4658b
> >
> > CPU (From /var/run/dmesg.boot): https://privatepaste.com/d107389cc1
> >
> > Why is this so and how can it be changed?
> > How is it possible to monitor CPU temperature now?
>
> If you have an Intel CPU (according to coretemp manpage), you can use
> coretemp module:
>
> # kldload coretemp
> # sysctl -a | grep temp
> [...]
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 84.0C
> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 85.0C
> dev.coretemp.0.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.coretemp.0.%driver: coretemp
> dev.coretemp.0.%parent: cpu0
> dev.coretemp.1.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.coretemp.1.%driver: coretemp
> dev.coretemp.1.%parent: cpu1
>
> If you're using an AMD CPU, the right module seems to be amdtemp.

Romain,
Thanks for your feedback.

The coretemp driver provides support for the on-die digital thermal sensor
present in Intel Core and newer CPUs (according to coretemp manpage).

I am using old Intel Pentium M processor( http://privatepaste.com/d107389cc1),
so coretemp module can't help in my case.

Regards,
Nick