Any success stories for HAST + ZFS?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 18:08:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 01:36:32PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> [Not sure which list is most appropriate since it's using HAST + ZFS
>> on -RELEASE, -STABLE, and -CURRENT.  Feel free to trim the CC: on
>> replies.]
>>
>> I'm having a hell of a time making this work on real hardware, and am
>> not ruling out hardware issues as yet, but wanted to get some
>> reassurance that someone out there is using this combination (FreeBSD
>> + HAST + ZFS) successfully, without kernel panics, without core dumps,
>> without deadlocks, without issues, etc.  I need to know I'm not
>> chasing a dead rabbit.
>
> I just committed a fix for a problem that might look like a deadlock.
> With trociny@ patch and my last fix (to GEOM GATE and hastd) do you
> still have any issues?

Just to confirm, this is commit r220264, 220265, 220266 to -CURRENT?

Looking through the commit logs, I don't see any of these MFC'd to
-STABLE yet, so I can't test them directly.  The storage box that was
having the issues is running 8-STABLE r219754 at the moment (with
ZFSv28 and Mikolag's ggate patches).

I see there have been a lot of hast/ggate-related MFCs in the past
week, but they don't include the deadlock patches.

Once the deadlock patches above are MFC'd to -STABLE, I can do an
upgrade cycle and test them.

I do have the previous 9-CURRENT install saved, just nothing to run it on atm.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com