[TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Mon May 31 22:52:32 UTC 2010

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Presumably the import of clang to the base does
> not mean the immediate removal of gcc.

Of course not.

I'm not part of core and don't know what they
may have discussed, but I went through some hoops
to replace 'tar' and 'cpio' in the base system
and have some idea what approach we might take
with clang:

I would expect FreeBSD 9 to ship with both
compilers, with gcc as the default for 'cc'.
So users of 9-STABLE would see and use gcc
unless they specifically chose to use clang.

Even if we did decide to switch the default
for FreeBSD 10, it's possible we would continue
to install gcc as part of the base system
(just not as 'cc').

So realistically, some form of gcc will be built
and installed by default for a few more years.
Beyond that, it depends partly on how well clang
does and partly on how many problems we have with
an increasingly out-of-date gcc.

Cheers,

Tim