AppleTalk status

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue May 25 16:48:33 UTC 2010

On 5/25/10 4:25 AM, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm working on updating net/netatalk to version 2.1 (or 2.1.1 when
> that comes out the next couple of days), and I'm wondering what
> state AppleTalk support is in these days. Is anybody still using
> it, or would now be the time to make all AppleTalk support in that
> port optional, and just focus on the file server component?
>
> I haven't used AppleTalk for at least eight years now, and I don't
> quite see which setting it still would be used in nowadays...

I did the original port to freeBSD (from a netbsd port from memory)
I haven't checked recently but it was used by several companies
running legacy stuff in some industrial control situations.
In any case it's good having a working example of another  protocol
as the world is getting a bit too focused on IP these days
and having a different protocol in the sources keeps us honest.