Use of boot0cfg to set boot slice broke between r209459 and r209502

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Jun 25 11:40:13 UTC 2010

Well, one one of my machines -- I realize that there are some
machines for which it's been problematic for a while.  And all of
the machines I'm using run FreeBSD/i386.

But it had been working on my build machine since I acquired it (a few
months ago) in daily use.

Of course, I didn't notice the effect, as after I finished building &
smoke-checking head on the build machine, I power it off, via:

sudo boot0cfg -s 2 aacd0 && sudo shutdown -p now || sudo shutdown -r now

(as leaving it on generates too much noise and heat).

And when I powered it up last night (in preparation for the nightly
update of my local mirrors and the start of the morning's builds), I
failed to note that it was running head, vs. stable/7 (as I had
intended).

A similar use of boot0cfg on my laptop remains working.

Here are the respective "uname -a" outputs from the build machine:

FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #198 r209459: Wed Jun 23 06:05:16 PDT 2010     root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #199 r209502: Thu Jun 24 05:41:59 PDT 2010     root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

(As you can see, I run a GENERIC kernel on the build machine.)

I've placed a copy of a recent stable/7 dmesg.boot in
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/stable_7/dmesg.boot>;
when I next boot CURRENT, I'll grab dmesg.boot & stuff it in
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/head/dmesg.boot>.  (That
should be within a few hours.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.