Timer panic on boot (r209434)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 22 21:40:13 UTC 2010

On 06/22/10 14:17, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Run `sysctl kern.eventtimer.timer2=i8254`, then after few seconds check
> messages to see if system liked this timer (it should fall back
> automatically if it's not),

Seems ok. Here is what I got on the console, no error messages in
/var/log/all.

sysctl kern.eventtimer.timer2=i8254
kern.eventtimer.timer2: HPET1Starting kernel event timers: HPET @ 100Hz,
i8254 @
 128Hz
  -> i8254
 t_delta 16.01a20d312197c8b0 too long

> then check 'vmstat -ia' to see whether irq0 interrupts are arriving,

This also seems fine:

interrupt                          total       rate
???                                    0          0
irq1: atkbd0                        3448          1
stray irq1                             0          0
irq0: attimer0                     15756          6
stray irq0                             0          0
irq3:                                  0          0
stray irq3                             0          0

The total for irq0 is going up consistently.

> then run 'systat -vm 1' to be absolutely sure.

That also seemed fine. Here is a sample:
104 hpet0 uhci

If I did nothing but stare at the screen the value was fairly
consistently 100, with occasional values of 99 or 107. Once I started
moving the mouse it jumped around a little, but stabilized again when I
left the mouse alone.

Should I continue using the HPET timer? Is it "better" in some way?
Anything else I can do to help?

Doug

			-- Propellerheads