how to set up UTF8 russian in -current?

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko gaijin.k at ovi.com
Thu Jun 17 02:10:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 17:30 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:45:30PM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > * Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > My system is amd64 r209195.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if the user localisation
> > > section of the handbook is a bit out of date:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-localization.html
> > >
> > > The handbook suggests using cons25r, whereas
> > > the default console type in /etc/ttys is now xterm.
> > > And keeping cons25r together with relevant fonts,
> > > screenmap and keymap in /etc/rc.conf doesn't seem
> > > to work anymore.
> > >
> > > Also, the latest I can find on UTF8 in FreeBSD
> > > is this thread:
> > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009349.html
> > >
> > > I tried to follow the advice given in this thread,
> > > namely I've rebuilt the kernel with TEKEN_UTF8
> > > (it seems the other option mentioned, TEKEN_XTERM, is no
> > > longer valid), and set LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.UTF-8
> > > in my shell. This didn't seem to have any effect.
> >
> > Even though UTF-8 support for the console is closer than it used to be,
> > it's still not useful in practice, since syscons won't display it. I
> > guess if you want to get Russian working on HEAD, you should do the
> > following:
> >
> > - Don't set TEKEN_* in your kernel configuration file.
> > - Just use the xterm terminal type in /etc/ttys.
> > - Set LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.{CP1251,CP866,ISO8859-5,KOI8-R}.
> > - Load a font for Syscons which uses the same character as the one you
> >   chose above.
> >
> > So this means 8-bit character sets is the best thing we can do right
> > now.
>
> Yes, this works fine.
> I guess TEKEN_* in the kernel broke it.
>
> However, russian in xterm is still not working.
> This is probably my misconfiguration..

Can you specifically point out things that do not work for you in the
xterm window? I am able to create files and directories with Cyrillic
names, use Cyrillic strings as the command parameters, etc. It has been
working for me for quite a long time, so I could not really remember
what, if anything, I had to do, but we can compare settings if you'd
like to. I do use Gnome, though, so some of its pixie dust could have
been spilled onto xterm.

I have attached small screenshot as an illustration -- if this is not
what you are talking about, please, accept my apology for the noise.

--
Alexandre Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)