RFC: etcupdate tool in base?

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Thu Jun 10 20:47:55 UTC 2010

Den 10/06/2010 kl. 22.31 skrev Mike Jakubik:

> On 6/10/2010 2:47 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 10/06/2010 21:29 Eitan Adler said the following:
>>
>>> -1 unless mergemaster is replaced.
>> Have you tried etcupdate?
>> etcupdate and mergemaster have a similar function but do things in quite a
>> different way.  While one is intended to be more interactive, the other is more
>> automated.  They can not replace each other.
>>

> -1 Also.
>
> How does this differ from a "mergemaster -iFU" ? That's pretty much as automated as it can get.

I find the ability to do 'etcupdate diff' to quickly get an overview of which changes I have made to a standard installation very useful.

Looking from the outside, I think the two tools could be merged to a single upgrade tool. I see three uses for such a tool:

* Show me which local modifications I have, so I can see if they're still relevant for the upgraded system
* Just do all the hard work for me (i.e. mergemaster -iFU) on files I didn't change
* Guide me through merging updates to files I did modify myself (and please, don't ask me innocently if I want to delete my local account when it's 4 AM :-) I may be answering 'yes' in my sleep)

+1 from me on etcupdate in base.

Erik