[INFO]: import of clang/LLVM to happen on June 9th

Roman Divacky rdivacky at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 4 15:29:45 UTC 2010

Dear current@

On June 9th, we are importing clang/LLVM into FreeBSD HEAD. We are going
to import clang/LLVM sources and put those into contrib/llvm (~45MB) and
the build infrastructure for it (lib/clang and usr.bin/clang). There's
also a small patch to hook it into the build. This patch is attached for
review or available at (stripped from mergeinfo):

	http://lev.vlakno.cz/~rdivacky/clangbsd-import.patch

Clang will be enabled to be built on amd64/i386/ppc by default and disabled
everywhere else. The selected clang/LLVM revision is r104832. Clang will
be installed as "clang" so it should not interfere with anything. There's
a switch (WITH_CLANG and WITHOUT_CLANG) that alters whether clang will
be built or not.

We plan to update clang/LLVM "often" as bugs are being found/fixed.

From the point of view of a user nothing changes except one more application
will be installed after the next buildworld/installworld.

The next plan is to gradually start integrating the necessary changes to
enable buildworld with clang but this is pending some more discussion.

Roman Divacky