[TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 1 04:53:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:01:15 +0100
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> Is it really such a bad thing to have gcc as a build-dependency
> for various ported applications?

There are already ports that have gcc-4.4.4 as a dependency, and
a few that still require gcc-3.4.6.

[on my system, that's :
ffmpeg-0.5.1_3,1
gegl-0.1.2_1
gimp-app-2.6.8_3,1
ufraw-0.16_3
x264-0.0.20100222_1
xsane-0.996_3
blas-1.0_4
lapack-3.2.1_1
py26-numpy-1.4.1,1
totem-2.30.1
vinagre-2.30.1
vino-2.28.2

and ...hmm... maybe I've already de-installed whatever was
depending on 3.4.6...]

Anyway, I don't see this trend slowing down any time soon, so I
don't think that being able to compile all of ports is a
reasonable constraint on bringing clang into the tree.

I've changed my mind about bringing things into the tree since my
last post on the subject.  Being in-tree helps a lot with the
ability to cross-build, which matters now that reasonably priced
"beasty" machines are so much faster than reasonably-priced
"puny" machines.  Also, I've learned to love tmux...
Also, the ability to have NO_LLVM in make.conf should (just like
the other, similar switches) answer the rebuild-time issue.

Just a few cents from the peanut gallery.

FWIW I'm in favour, but I do understand Kostik's concern.  I've
been bitten by my share of compiler bugs and hardware bugs.
Perhaps, even for a while after introduction, there should be a
rule like "don't report a bug unless you've reproduced
it on a system built with cc(=gcc)", just to keep those two issues
separate.  Perhaps with a side order of: any bug that you find in
a clang-compiled system that goes away when re-built with gcc
should be reported to the clang folk...

Cheers,

- --
Andrew