Interactivity problems

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 12 05:23:42 UTC 2010

Howdy,

I use -current on my laptop as my regular X platform, and for the last
few months I've been noticing that interactivity problems have been
getting a lot worse, by which I mean that if I have something running in
the background that is either disk or cpu intensive, anything else I try
to do on the system suffers. The most usual symptom is painfully slow
refresh times on windows, skipping audio, jumpy mouse, etc. These
problems persist even if I nice the hungry process.

My kernel conf is a typical GENERIC minus stuff I don't have. You can
see the diff to GENERIC at
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/kernel-conf.diff

My loader.conf:
umass_load="yes"
coretemp_load="yes"
linux_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
if_wpi_load="YES"

/etc/sysctl.conf
debug.debugger_on_panic=0
kern.module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;/usr/local/modules

No malloc.conf or libmap.conf. The only diff in my src tree is a patch
from mav vs. his latest timer update. All in all this is a very GENERIC
system, pardon the pun. :)

Is anyone else seeing this problem? Does anyone have suggestions?

Doug

			-- Propellerheads