Call for testers: wireless module for bsnmpd(1)

Shteryana Shopova syrinx at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 10 11:27:59 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've been awarded a grant by the FreeBSD
Foundation to make several improvements to FreeBSD's SNMP daemon. The
first part of the project - a module for monitoring wireless
networking under FreeBSD - is now completed and I'd really appreciate
if I could get some help in more extensive testing in a wider range of
wireless networking usage scenarios. A tarbal of the latest sources of
the module is available under
http://people.freebsd.org/~syrinx/snmp/snmp_wlan-20100710-01.tar. To
compile and install the module -
#fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~syrinx/snmp/snmp_wlan-20100710-01.tar
#tar -xvf snmp_wlan-20100710-01.tar
#cd snmp_wlan
#make
#make install (as root)

To enable loading of the module in bsnmpd(1), one should add the
following line to bsnmpd(1) config file (usually /etc/snmpd.config) -

begemotSnmpdModulePath."wlan" = "/usr/lib/snmp_wlan.so"

More details on how the module works may be found in the snmp_wlan(3)
man page and in the private BEGEMOT-WIRELESS-MIB the module implements
(installed under /usr/share/snmp/mibs/BEGEMOT-WIRELESS-MIB.txt).
Know issues currently are that BITS types are not always handled
properly, and TX rates may not always be properly set - I am working
on fixing those.
All feedback is wellcome - bug reports, requests for features to be
included in future versions of the module, code style and bug fix
patches. I will be glad to help resolve any problems that may arise
while installing/working with the module and answer any questions you
may have. Thanks!

cheers,
Shteryana