QEMU/KVM Panic on USB Mount

Boris Kochergin spawk at acm.poly.edu
Sat Jul 10 02:27:56 UTC 2010

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2010 19:12:59 Sean Bruno wrote:
>
>> In order to come up with the most convoluted problem possible, I present
>> to you screen shots of a panic from a FreeBSD VM running in QEMU
>> emulation under RedHat's KVM infrastructure.
>>
>> I presented a perfectly functional USB partition from my host machine to
>> the VM.  Then I attempted to mount the partition from FreeBSD and it
>> generated the panics located here:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/usb_panic1.png
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/usb_panic2.png
>>
>> This is 100% reproducible.  But not an emergency or anything.
>>

> It might be that there is a conflict that both the VM and the OS is accessing
> to USB.
>
> --HPS

I followed the code for a while and the cause of the panic appears to be
that ffs_vgetf() in /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c fails in one of
the several ways possible, causing in VFS_ROOT() in
/usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_mount.c to return a non-zero value and resulting
in the panic. I think the problem calls for someone with serious VFS chops.

The I/O errors from the USB device are suspicious (in that they may
cause the mount code to misbehave if they occur during its course).

-Boris