buildworld fails building _dtrace_tools

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 1 07:35:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 04:26:53PM +0200, Claude Buisson wrote:
> Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > HI Claude
> >
> > http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_message.php?list=freebsd-current&id=3145015
> >
> > Have you got a reply to your question?
> > Have you solved it?
> >

> > I'm now seeing the same on i386.
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > many thanks
> > anton
> >

> Hi Anton,
>
> I never received any reply..
>
> I have done a binary search and found that the problem was introduced by svn
> revision r204339 dated February 25 by ru@

Let's admit that the problem was uncovered, not introduced.  The mentioned
commit of mine is correct (try building stuff statically linked to see).

> Reverting this revision by hand, I have been able to build a system "WITH_CDDL"
> which could be used to rebuild from the current sources.
>
> But the original problem is always here: how to make a buildworld "WITH_CDDL" on
> a system built "WITHOUT_CDDL" ?
>
> I sent a message to ru@ on April 11, without success..

Sorry, still swamped with real life issues.  I think there are basically
two options for bootstrapping:

- reinstall stuff from some release media (e.g., take the required
  bits from the nearby release tarballs)

- manually build/install the missing stuff from sources (if you have'em)

Then do a buildworld.  This problem is similar to the case when you
lose /usr/bin/make or some other host tool used during the build.