Dell poweredge 2400 floppy drive

inurneck inurneck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 00:59:33 UTC 2010

Hello,
I Can't seem to get my floppy recognized by the kernel. It is in fact a
stripped kernel, I previously took a lot of things out of it, but i have
added all I believe I need. The system sees the controller but never probes
for an actual drive. I *re*added the options
# Floppy drive.
device atapifd # For floppy support.
device eisa # For floppy support.
device ata # For floppy support.
device fdc # Floppy drive controller.

If I read correctly rthat's what the handbook said was needed. but when the
system boots all I get is >

[142]daemon[/daemon/kernel]: dmesg | grep fdc
fdc0: <floppy drive controller> port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
fdc0: [FILTER]
[143]daemon[/daemon/kernel]:

And in dev all I see relevant is the directory structure: fd>0>1>2
I'd appreciate your help, what is the minimum things I need in my kernel
config for it to see the floppy, and if I already do have them, why isn't it
probing for it? Lastly what can I do to debug this? I am not one to ask
questions I usually google, and did but all I seem to be getting is
irrelevant information about installation from floppies. Thank you so much.