top(1) + vmstat(8): CPU percentages broken

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jan 21 17:04:36 UTC 2010

Hello,

On a 9-current system (sources as of Monday 2010-01-18),
top(1) displays 0% for _all_ values in the "CPU" line
(user, nice, sys, int, idle).  Also, in vmstat(1) the
cpu columns us/sy/id are always zero.

Is there a know problem with CPU time accounting in
9-current?

BTW, if it matters, this is with a GENERIC kernel minus
WITNESS and INVARIANTS.  The machine has two HT-enabled
quadcore-packages, i.e. in total this is a 16-way SMP
system.  kern.timecounter.hardware is ACPI-fast.

I've put dmesg and other information here:
http://www.secnetix.de/olli/dmesg/hs22/

(There also seem to be problems with the performance
of the mpt(4)-connected disks, but I guess that's an
unrelated problem.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman