stacked unionfs freeze and crash FreeBSD

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Wed Jan 20 15:28:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:43:12 +0200
David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The attached script, that uses stacked unionfs, causes FreeBSD-9 (cvsup
> yesterday) to freeze and FreeBSD-8 (cvsup two days ago) to crash:
>
> Fatal double fault
> rip-0xffffffff81e4c1
> rsp=0xffffff80b133ef50
> rbp=0xffffff80b133f150
> cupid = 2; apic id = 02
> panic: double fault
> cpuid = 2
> uptime: 1h44m35s
> cannot dump.  Device not defined or unavailable
>

> Both systems use the stock GENERIC kernel, i.e. -9 had full diagnostics built
> in (and was run under VirtualBox) and -8 had no diagnostics (and was run
> native).
>
> A LOR is produces prior to freezing under -9 (quiet a time prior).  See
> kern/141950.
>
> The script uses unionfs to build ports (in an attempt to create a tinderbox
> without the need to delete and/or extract packages).  To use the script to:
>
> # mkdir /tmp/localbase /tmp/builddir
> # env LOCALBASE=/tmp/localbase BUILDDIR=/tmp/builddir ./ports-union-builder.sh

Is your /tmp big enough?

> This will try build everything for x11/xorg.

> Is it possible that VirtualBox is interfering in getting usable diagnostics
> for -9

Who knows?  You might try posting your shell script so others can give
it a whirl on a "real" 9-current system.

> and how can I setup a dump device for -8.  Currently I have:
>
> # swapinfo
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/ad4s1b       8388608        0  8388608     0%
> /dev/ad8s1b       8388608        0  8388608     0%
> Total            16777216        0 16777216     0%

Do you have dumpdev defined in /etc/rc.conf and/or do you see
/dev/dumpdev?  Having /dev/dumpdev indicates that dumpon succeeded.

Do you have less than 8GB of memory?  See dumpon(8) for restrictions.

---
Gary Jennejohn