^L on console?

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Mon Jan 4 21:44:58 UTC 2010

Hi Xin,

* Xin LI <delphij at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that ^L behaves differently on console.  Before login, it
> won't clear the screen and put the cursor to the left-up corner, while
> with login and csh, it would do what it's supposed to do.
>
> This behavior seems to be different from older FreeBSD releases, is it
> related to the recent console driver changes (and is the expected
> behavior)?

Even though it's different than previous releases of FreeBSD, it is the
expected behaviour. FreeBSD 9 uses an xterm-like terminal emulation.
Xterm doesn't seem to blank the screen when it echoes a ^L. login and
csh do blank the screen, but they do it by hand.

I could change it, but I'm afraid it breaks stuff... :-)

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/