Call for Test and Review: bwn(4) - another Broadcom Wireless driver

Weongyo Jeong weongyo.jeong at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 21:49:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 07:22:38PM +0000, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> On 26/12/2009 03:49, Weongyo Jeong wrote:
> >Frankly speaking I didn't know siba(4) during I'd written ssb(4).  It's
> >my bad and I think you opinion is right to go forward though siba(4)
> >missed 802.11 related codes.  Before committing bwn(4) into tree I'd
> >merge codes into siba(4) firstly.
> >

> I wrote some of the siba(4) stuff originally, a few years ago, when
> trying to get FreeBSD booting on the Netgear WGT824, which has a
> Broadcom BCM5365P (aka Sentry5) embedded system processor, and contains
> Sonics SiliconBackPlane for its onboard peripherals.
>
> I had based some of it off a patch I think David Young came up with for
> NetBSD on the same beast. I got as far as getting the onboard bfe(4) to
> do NEWBUS attachment on the siba(4) bus, but because I hadn't gotten IRQ
> allocation/routing working on BCM5365P, bfe(4) didn't fully attach.
>
> Interestingly it looked like ubsec(4) might have worked with just a few
> tweaks, for the otherwise ppoorly] [un]documented crypto hardware on the
> Sentry5 chip.
>
> I believe other folk have taken what was there in the FreeBSD MIPS
> branch and run with it since then, so siba(4) might be closer to
> completion now.

In HEAD it looks Makefile and siba.4 are missed and can't build it that
it outputs some errors.

Do you have the latest patches or sources to build or man page?  Please
let me know if you have to avoid duplicate works.

And one another question is that are there drivers which uses siba(4)
driver in HEAD?  It could be helpful for me if I have some examples to
use.

regards,
Weongyo Jeong