CD/DVD ejecting after sysinstall

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 01:28:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Randi Harper <sektie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2010, at 14:21, Rui Paulo <rpaulo at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > You are correct. We should not be ejecting the CD without a prompt. If
> the commit is reverted, it should be explicitly noted in the code so that we
> don't do this mistake again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Rui Paulo
> >

> That's a judgement call, not an absolute. I think what we are doing isn't a
> problem for 99.999% of use cases.

I think 99.999% is a bit high, as couple times during my FreeBSD usage this
would have been a problem for me although is not currently an issue.  I
don't really know what problem this solves as it is unnecessary in 100% of
use cases as far as I can tell.  It's not that I don't appreciate the
thought behind it, but this will be problem for others I imagine as well.
It's a VERY big inconvenience sometimes to visit a datacenter when you
thought you had a rock solid remote setup in place.

In defense of the current behavior, you can get basically the same behavior
by setting up a PXE boot system, but that is not always desirable or
convenient.  Also all KVM's don't give the option to remotely load ISO's.

--
Adam Vande More