Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 20 05:48:56 UTC 2010

Hello, Gabor.
You wrote 14 августа 2010 г., 20:10:56:

> 2, GNU grep uses internal optimizations to get that performance. I think
> it's a wrong approach because the regex library itself should be
> optimized instead to keep BSD grep clean and simple and to provide the
> same efficiency for all utilities that are linked to the regex library.
> Our libc-regex is definitely need to be replaced at some point in the
> future but that's a more complex item. See the following references:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDgrep
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Regex
  You  don't  have  these  links  on Wiki page, so I post them here. I
  hope,  you've  read  these  articles,  but it is better to duplicate
  links, than miss them.

  http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html
  http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/

  And  it  iw very strange to see TRE soooo slow, because it seems, it
  is  based  on "fast" linear approcach, when gnu-regexp is old, slow,
  one...

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>