Removal of ICC (intel compiler) bits from mk

Thu Aug 19 08:49:22 UTC 2010

Quoting "V. T. Mueller, Continum" <v.t.mueller at continum.net> (from
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:20:26 +0200):

> Hello,
>
> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> If someone would get icc 11.x up and runnig as a port (similar to
>> what we have for outdated icc version in the ports collection), I
>> would have a look if my contact at Intel is still working there in
>> a position which allows him to get a commercial license for us.
>
> A while ago it was stated by MySQL AB, that their dbms performs
> about 20% better when compiled with icc instead of gcc. Is this
> (still) true?

This looks overly simplified. "It runs better on CPU X with benchmark
Y on Mainboard Z when you use gcc A.B.C with options D and compare it
to icc E.F.G with options H." is something you can use in such cases,
but it doesn't tell you if it will be the case on your machines with
your workload.

If you want to know if it is faster on your machines with your
workload, then there is only one way to find it out: try it (be
warned, due to the amount of optimization options available in
gcc/icc, something like this will take a lot of time, as there are a
lot of combinations to try).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.