BSD grep performance

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 19 06:41:48 UTC 2010

On 08/18/2010 10:48, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:

> I've just committed a patch with the kind help of Dimitry Andric,
> which gives BSD grep a huge performance boost.

Agreed, as I reported earlier.

> The performance is now almost comparable to GNU grep.

I think you're using a very liberal definition of "comparable."

http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/grep-time-trial.sh.txt
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/grep-time-trial-2.sh.txt

./grep-time-trial
GNU grep
Elapsed time: 2 seconds

BSD grep
Elapsed time: 15 seconds

./grep-time-trial-2
GNU grep
Elapsed time: 3 seconds

BSD grep
Elapsed time: 11 seconds

> I think with this, BSD grep may remain default if no other serious
> issues come up.

I'm not going to re-state my opinion here except to say it hasn't
changed. Even if the performance were not an issue I think the bugs
mentioned below combined with your 4-day absence should also have been
considerations. However, in regards to this particular case I think it's
pretty obvious that I'm either alone, or in a very non-vocal group; so
c'est la vie.

However, from the standpoint of committer relations I think that first
stating that you would change the default, then not doing so before all
of the outstanding issues were resolved is not what I would consider a
good model for others to follow.

FWIW,

Doug