Removal of ICC (intel compiler) bits from mk

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 18 17:56:12 UTC 2010

  Em 2010.08.18. 19:37, Rui Paulo escreveu:
> On 18 Aug 2010, at 18:18, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Rui Paulo<rpaulo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've been chatting with the ICC ex-users and they seem to be ok with the removal of the ICC bits from share/mk and other places.
>>> The reason is that it doesn't work and no one has volunteered to fix it for many years. This seems to indicate that the interest in ICC is low.
>>> If there's anyone against this, speak now or forever be silent. :-)
>>     Later versions of icc are more gcc compliant aren't they? If so,
>> wouldn't this also be a non-issue to remove the bits, or are there
>> still some incompatibilities between gcc and icc that are worth
>> noting?
> I really don't know how compatible is the latest icc because no one ever updated the ports version. This is actually a hint that no one really uses this anymore.
IIRC, apart from the low interest, the problem was that because of ICC's
license using ICC to test this mk stuff requires a commercial license
because somehow it is considered a derivative work. It has also
prevented us from providing better support. In 2006, I wanted to do some
progress as part of my SoC project because that time there was more
interest. Alexander (CC'd) may comment on this. I think he has a license
for FreeBSD work but he is not allowed to give it out to a third party.

Gabor