Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 14 13:26:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

>> why would you want to lock a file for reading anyways?
>
> Does current bsdgrep read lock by default ?
> If so, it would be better off by default, enabled by an option.
> 8.0-RELEASE man grep (gnu) does not mention locking.

bsdgrep in -current does lock via the call to fgetc().  That is why I
suggested using flockfile/getchar_unlocked+/funlockfile instead.  Other
unlocked functions would also be useful, i.e., feof_unlocked().
Avoiding fgetc() does not completely solve the speed issue, yet it
certainly helps.

Just for reference:  older bsdgrep used fgetln().

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org