HEADS UP: SUJ Going in to head today

Jeff Roberson jroberson at jroberson.net
Tue Apr 27 05:56:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:57:59 -1000 (HST)
> Jeff Roberson <jroberson at jroberson.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Alex Keda wrote:
>>
>>> try in single user mode:
>>>
>>> tunefs -j enable /
>>> tunefs: Insuffient free space for the journal
>>> tunefs: soft updates journaling can not be enabled
>>>
>>> tunefs -j enable /dev/ad0s2a
>>> tunefs: Insuffient free space for the journal
>>> tunefs: soft updates journaling can not be enabled
>>> tunefs: /dev/ad0s2a: failed to write superblock
>>
>> There is a bug that prevents enabling journaling on a mounted filesystem.
>> So for now you can't enable it on /.  I see that you have a large / volume
>> but in general I would also suggest people not enable suj on / anyway as
>> it's typically not very large.  I only run it on my /usr and /home
>> filesystems.
>>
>> I will send a mail out when I figure out why tunefs can't enable suj on /
>> while it is mounted read-only.
>>

> Jeff -
> One thing which surprised me was that I couldn't reuse the existing
> .sujournal files on my disks.  I did notice that there are now more
> flags set on them.  Was that the reason?  Or were you just being
> careful?

There were a few iterations of the code to create and discover the actual
journal inode.  I may have introduced an incompatibility when making fsck
more careful about what it treats as a journal.  If it were to attempt to
apply changes from a garbage file it could corrupt your filesystem.

Thanks,
Jeff