Switchover to CAM ATA?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 26 18:13:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> I've read most of this thread.  I think this is cool technology. However,
> before we move forward with this, we need to have a plan for the various
> issues that have come up.  The plan needs to be specific, have owners for
> key items, warnings about ownerless == obsoleted, and target dates.
>
> I think this is one of the cases where we should record the plan of record
> on a wiki.  It worked well for other times we've had big, disruptive
> changes.

This is my reading too: this is a big deal change, it's excellent that it's
happening, but if we want it to go well we need to do a bit of planning.  In
particular, if we want to maximize our effectiveness in convincing people to
write replacements parts for ataraid, doing the heads up and schedule/warnings
the right way will help a lot.  While the schedule doesn't need to be as long
as the mpsafe network stack/device drivers process, it worked well in practice
and so I'd encourage something similar.

More generally, and to raise a point not so much in your list: I wonder if
global-based fstabs are the right way to go or not.  If they are we need to
push the migration heavily, and especially provide a pre-upgrade tool to help
users get their fstab changes right (i.e., a script that takes your /etc/fstab
and system configuration and tells you what to put in your new fstab).  I
still wonder if we should be trying a bit harder to provide compatibility with
the old ata names -- our experience is that "flag day" upgrades cause a lot of
user attrition on -current and in the releases, and it might be that making a
few architectural sacrifices to ease the upgrade path is worth it.  I for one
don't want to be on the wrong end of all the users who install a new kernel
and discover that /etc/fstab isn't forwards-compatible!

All that said: this is really great work, and I'm sure I speak for many when I
say thanks to Alexander for the hard work that has gone into this.  A bit more
perserverence and we'll be there :-).

Robert