Switchover to CAM ATA?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:17:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:

> If a lowly user's vote counts for anything, I'd vote for the complete
> removal of ataraid support.  We have gstripe, gmirror, graid3, graid5, and
> zfs (and gvinum for the masochistics).  :)  We don't need to support any of
> the crappy pseudo-raid "hardware" out there.  ataraid(4) has served it's
> purpose, tiding us over until GEOM RAID facilities were in place.  Now it's
> time for it to be retired.

+1 on ataraid's retirement.

> It doesn't seem to me that sysinstall supports gmirror or gstripe, so
> even if they could be better, currently I think many users still use
> ataraid for simple installations with mirrored disks.

It's hard to say, I'm sure there are some.  It's fairly trivial to create
gmirrors or gstripes after the install is complete.  Also, gstripe's are not
bootable volumes.  Handbook documentation has been guiding users to gmirror
for some time now and gmirror is just much easier to work with IMO.

I think sade(and by further discussion sysinstall) is now getting some
attention and now supports geom devices, zfs, etc at least in one person's
testbed.  I know that's it's been tried before but there are actually
screenshots from it.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-April/016418.html

--
Adam Vande More