FreeBSD kernel doesn't boot on FUJITSU PRIMERGY RX200 S5 server

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 22 13:34:12 UTC 2010

On Thursday 22 April 2010 6:05:04 am Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > There is already a code to detect non-existing AT keyboard and avoid
> > attaching atkbd to it. The code is i386-only at the moment, I am trying
> > to figure out how to modify it so that it works on amd64 as well.
>
> Looks like this huge delay is caused by the inb() being astonishingly
> slow, which is not factored by the timeout routines. Reading keyboard
> status port once takes about 0.003s! I am not sure if it's common
> behaviour of the platform, or something specific to this particular
> model. Do you know by any chance?

Well, many BIOSes trigger an SMI# when doing inb/outb to the keyboard ports so
they can emulate a PS/2 keyboard when a USB keyboard is inserted.  Do you have
any BIOS options related to the USB legacy compat?  I know of the Nehalem
systems I've seen they have a separate option for controlling port 60/64
emulation which we leave disabled by default.

--
John Baldwin