Does "makeoptions WITH_CTF=yes" actually work?

Navdeep Parhar nparhar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:31:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Alexander Leidinger
<netchild at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Quoting Navdeep Parhar <nparhar at gmail.com> (from Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:33:29
> -0700):
>
>> I read the UPDATING entry that accompanied r206082 and added WITH_CTF=yes
>> my kernel config, hoping to get CTF information in the kernel and all
>> modules.  No luck.
>> It appears that NO_CTF remains set to 1 inspite of the undef NO_CTF in
>> various .mk files
>> and ctfconvert never runs.
>
> This is the output I get in my kernel build directory:
> ---snip---
> # make -V NO_CTF -V WITH_CTF
>
> yes

Can you also try a "makeoptions WITH_CTF=yes" in your KERNCONF
and see if the results are as expected?  How was r206082 tested?  I'm
trying to figure out the differences, if any, between your build setup and
mine.

> ---snip---
>
>> I built the kernel with a "make -j16 buildkernel" in /usr/src.
>
> How do you determine if ctfconvert is run or not?

I got rid of the @ in front of all the CTF commands in all the .mk files.  I
could see that NO_CTF was 1 and so the ctfconvert after || wouldn't
run.

[ -z "${CTFCONVERT}" -o -n "${NO_CTF}" ] || ${CTFCONVERT} ${CTFFLAGS} ${.TARGET}

[ -z "ctfconvert" -o -n "1" ] || ........

Do you see anything different if you remove all the @'s?

> If you expect to see
> ctfconvert lines in the build output: this will not be the case, no matter
> if you enable it or not. With the current way of handling it, I'm not aware
> of a way how to print the command when ctfconvert is really executed (we can
> maybe add an echo which prints out something, but the question is if this is
> worth the effort).
>
> You can run objdump -f <objectfile> and have a look if the .SUNW_ctf section
> is there to determine if CTF stuff was inserted or not.

I tried this:
# ctfdump /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC/kernel
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC/kernel does not contain .SUNW_ctf data

Regards,
Navdeep