ports and PBIs

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 10 22:45:25 UTC 2010

Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 4/10/10 12:07 PM, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>> [1] Actually, PBI might work just fine even for
>> embedded if we address the disk bloat issue. One
>> approach would be to make
>> /Package/Bar/libfoo-2.8.7.so
>> a symlink or hardlink to
>> /Package/Shared/libfoo-2.8.7.so-<MD5-hash>
>> This gives easy sharing of identical files.
>
> yeah that's more or less what we were thinking..
> hardlinks allow you to garbage collect when the last pbi that needs
> something is replaced/removed.

The point of /Package/Shared in this design is
basically that it provides a list of all of
the files that can be shared, so you
avoid doing a full disk search to identify other
places that might have this file.  You could
accomplish the same goal by building and
storing a database of sharable files somewhere,
of course.

(Curiously, no one has mentioned filesystem-level
deduping yet as the "big hammer" solution...  ;-)

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue is the most interesting
problem here.  I don't immediately see a solution that
doesn't include teaching ld-elf.so.1 about some form
of per-application library path.

Tim