signifanctly slowdown of FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/amd64

bf bf2006a at yahoo.com
Sun May 31 03:26:16 UTC 2009

>2009/5/30 Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org>:

>Also, did you compile the single-core athlon64 without the option SMP?
>
>Thanks,
>Attilio

I'm running the r193133 amd64 with a custom kernel and all debugging off
on an AMD Athlon64 3400+ single-core, and I haven't noticed any significant
slowing, although I haven't been doing any systematic benchmarking.

What would be the penalties of running an SMP -CURRENT kernel on
single-core hardware with no hyperthreading? Can anyone quantify the
typical added overhead?  Or, counterintuitively, would an SMP kernel
be better in some ways?

Regards,
          b.