Various problems, atapi, acpi (S3), cpufreq (est)

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Wed May 20 09:28:45 UTC 2009

Harald, good day.

Tue, May 19, 2009 at 05:10:33PM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> 1. Setting dev.cpu.0.freq to reduced freq _increases_ power consumtion.
> This also is true with powerd. When machine is idle, the primary power
> consumtion is a little over 75W (which is quiet good for a triple-head
> system). When I alter cpu.0.freq to anything other than native speed
> (3000 in my case) the power consumption slightly incresaes about 1W.
> Here's the relevant dmesg part (`dmesg | grep -i cpu`):
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz (3003.02-MHz
> 686-class CPU)
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
>   cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>   cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> acpi_perf0: <ACPI CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
> coretemp0: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu0
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
> cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> coretemp1: <CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors> on cpu1
> est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 61a092006000920
> p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

Could you, please, provide the output from 'acpidump -dt | grep -i cpu |
grep -i alias' and your MB model.  This may not help to decrease power
consumption with lower frequencies, but may be your case is covered by
the PR at
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/134192
and after the patch your second processor will be attached properly to
the est1.  And let me guess, you have kernel message like
"device_attach: estX attach returned 6"?

> 3. I can't write a DVD image with growisofs.
> After booting I get these messages:
> acd1: FAILURE - READ_TOC ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
> (cd1:ata3:0:0:0): READ TOC/PMA/ATIP. CDB: 43 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
> (cd1:ata3:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
> (cd1:ata3:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
> (cd1:ata3:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
> (cd1:ata3:0:0:0): Invalid field in CDB
> (cd1:ata3:0:0:0): Unretryable error
>
> Using `growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=8 -Z /dev/cd1=/udfimage.iso` freezes
> the system. First it seems nothing happens but after some minutes the
> system is completely unresponsive, even mouse doesn't move any more.
> Here's some output I got at this event:
> acd1: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
> acd1: WARNING - PREVENT_ALLOW taskqueue timeout - completing request
> directly
> acd1: WARNING - PREVENT_ALLOW freeing taskqueue zombie request
> acd1: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY taskqueue timeout - completing request
> directly
> acd1: WARNING - TEST_UNIT_READY freeing taskqueue zombie request
> acd1: WARNING - READ_TOC taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> acd1: WARNING - READ_TOC freeing taskqueue zombie reques

Could you try to add atapicam(4) device into your kernel and use
/dev/cdX instead of /dev/acdX for burning?  I don't believe that this
will help you, given the messages you're receiving, but you can at least
give a shot for SCSI emulation on ATAPI devices.
--
Eygene