Fighting for the power.

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon May 4 01:14:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 01:18:14AM +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:

  I would like to summarize some of my knowledge on reducing FreeBSD power
  consumption and describe some new things I have recently implemented in
  8-CURRENT. The main character of this story is my 12" Acer TravelMate
  6292 laptop with C2D T7700 2.4GHz CPU, 965GM chipset and SATA HDD, under
  amd64 8-CURRENT.

Great list!  May I suggest screen brightness and DPMS as another tool
to save power, I've measured a 5W difference from the screen draw.
Keeping the brightness as low as tolerable helps considerably, but
also using 'xset dpms 120 120 120' (modify to taste) in .xinitrc to
turn off the screen after 2 minutes helps when the laptop isn't being
used every second.  May need this in xorg.conf:
Option             "dpms"