kernel panic with snd_hda "panic: Duplicate free of item 0xffffff00025f8c00 from zone 0xffffff00b697d400(1024)"

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 29 01:02:25 PDT 2009

Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> I'm getting a kernel panic with the snd_hda driver on fresh 8-CURRENT
> amd64 (r190518). I received this panic the other day when loading the
> module from the command line on a slightly older kernel revision (I
> think it was r190437). After putting the module load into
> /boot/loader.conf, the problem didn't occur again and sound worked just
> fine on subsequent reboots.
>
> A few minutes ago I installed the new r190518 kernel and now it panics
> consistently with the same message every time. It also panics if I
> unload the module at the loader prompt, boot the kernel and then kldload
> on the command line.
>
> Hardware is a Toshiba Portege R600 laptop. Details below are hand
> transcribed as the machine doesn't have a serial port.
>
> Relevant bit of verbose boot message when it panics:
>
> hdac0: <Intel 82801I High Definition Audio Controller> at device 27.0 on
>        pci0
> hdac0: HDA driver revision: 20090316_0130
> hdac0: Lazy allocation of 0x4000 bytes rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xb69a4000
> hdac0: Reserved 0x4000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xb69a4000
> hdac0: attempting to allocate 1 MSI vectors (1 supported)
> hdac0: using IRQ 257 for MSI
> msi: Assinging MSI IRQ 257 to local APIC 0 vector 53
> hdac0: [MPSAFE]
> hdac0: [ITHREAD]
> hdac0: hdac_get_capabilities: Invalid corb size (0)
> device_attach: hdac0 attach returned 6
> Slab at 0xffffff00025d5b18, freei 3 = 0.
> panic: Duplicate free of item 0xffffff00025f8c00 from zone
> 0xffffff00b697d400(1024)
>
> Any idea what the issue(s) might be?

I can't reproduce neither "Invalid corb size (0)" error, nor the crash
in case of it. I have tried to simulate that error, but system handled
it correctly. But I have INVARIANTS disabled on my system.

Can you try to disable MSI?

Can you try to move hdac_irq_alloc() call after hdac_rirb_init() in
hdac_attach()? May be interrupt shots while something is not yet
initialized?

--
Alexander Motin