Bus Resource busy panic

Barney Cordoba barney_cordoba at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 17:03:38 PDT 2009

--- On Sat, 3/28/09, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Bus Resource busy panic
> To: current at freebsd.org
> Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 6:35 PM
> I have a situation that results in a panic in 8 that runs
> happily in 7.
> Its a bus_alloc_resource of type SYS_RES_MEMORY that is
> used by 2
> separate devices.
>
> I see there is an RF_SHAREABLE flag. That flag hadn't
> been set, but is there
> something in 8 that now requires it?
>
> As a side question, should a bus_alloc_resource call panic
> the system just
> because the resource is busy?
>
> Barney

Some more info on this. The panic is in resource_list_alloc() and
setting SHAREABLE doesn't fix it. I see the same code in 7 so
I'm not sure why it would work in 7 and not 8.

Basically there are 2 devices that need to do IO on a board, and they
are both doing

bus_alloc_resource_any(dev, SYS_RES_MEMORY,&rid, RF_ACTIVE);

Barney