unable to boot ZFS with gptzfsboot from an exported zpool

Philipp Wuensche cryx-freebsd at h3q.com
Thu Mar 26 12:29:11 PDT 2009

Philipp Wuensche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone else having problems booting from exported zpools when using
> gptzfsboot?
>
> I have a script creating a GPT partition on a single fresh disk setting
> up zfs booting etc.
> http://anonsvn.h3q.com/projects/freebsd-patches/browser/manageBE/create-zfsboot-gpt.sh?format=txt
>
> If I export the zpool after the script is done with the setup and try to
> boot the disk, zfsboot tells me "No ZFS pools located, can't boot". If I
> just plug out the disk, e.g. USB, or shutdown the system without
> exporting the zpool on the new disk first, it finds the zpool and boots.
>
> My guess is a bug in sys/boot/i386/zfsboot/zfsboot.c somewhere in
> probe_drive(), not sure if its in the GPT part or somewhere else.

Okay, now I found it right in the zfsimpl.c

	if (val != POOL_STATE_ACTIVE) {
		/*
		 * Don't print a message here. If we happen to reboot
		 * while where is an exported pool around, we don't
		 * need a cascade of confusing messages during boot.
		 */
		/*printf("ZFS: pool is not active\n");*/
		return (EIO);
	}

So it is wanted not to boot from an exported zpool? Why is that so?

greetings,
philipp