New mergemaster option to install files that differ only by $FreeBSD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 25 14:02:13 PDT 2009

Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Hm, then it seems to me that I did something 'wrong' when I co'ed the
> svn repository. I am an anonymous user, aka having no svn account.

You're not using the devel/subversion-freebsd port.

> This how I co'ed the repo:
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head src

I just tested that with the subversion-freebsd version, and it worked
just fine.

> Well, in my case I did type 'i' many times and now I am happy with a 2
> hour install/upgrade cycle from 7.1 to current.

I'm glad you're happy now, but you won't be when you do your next
mergemaster run.  :)

Mergemaster counts on there being a real version number in the VCS Id
string to compare against and learn about new versions of files. If
the files in your base and the files in the src tree all have
identical strings (i.e., they are all equal to $FreeBSD$) then
mergemaster will never know that there is a new version available.

hth,

Doug