Wireless connection (WPA-EAP) stops working after a while

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 24 17:28:35 PDT 2009

Daniel Thiele wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> Daniel Thiele wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with my wireless connection. I am running FreeBSD
>>> 8.0-CURRENT (from Mar 22) with wpa_supplicant v0.6.8 using an Atheros
>>> based ExpressCard (D-Link DWA-643 via ath(4)) and alternatively a
>>> Ralink
>>> based USB adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC-EU via rum(4)).
>>>
>>> At home using the Atheros card together with a FreeBSD (7.1) based
>>> access point (using rum(4) in hostap mode) and the wpa_supplicant.conf
>>> (attached at the end of this email) settings for SSID="home" I don't
>>> have any problems. With a Linksys WRT54GL-DE access point
>>> running the OpenWRT White Russian 0.9 firmware and OpenVPN over an open
>>> wireless LAN also works flawlessly.
>>>
>>> At the university, however, (SSID="IDA" in the wpa_supplicant.conf at
>>> the end of this email) the wireless connection only works for about an
>>> hour. The vague term "wireless connection" in this case means, that the
>>> WPA connection is opened and associated, then I get an IP address via
>>> dhclient. There is a message about "OpenSSL: tls_connection_handshake -
>>> Failed to read possible Application Data
>>> error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)" and "TLS: Unsupported Phase2
>>> EAP method 'MSCHAPv2'" but the authentication seems to succeed:
>>>

>> Do you know if this is a regression w/ the 0.6.8 supplicant I recently
>> imported (i.e. relative to 0.5.11+HEAD)?
>
> Unfortunately I cannot answer that, since I have not been running
> CURRENT for that long. Is there a way I can help to test that? I still
> have my old notebook (7.1-STABLE running wpa_supplicant 0.5.10 with ipw
> and rum wireless adapters). I can get the logs from that machine, too,
> if that would help.

You could rollback wpa_supplicant using svn/cvs but it's a bit painful
as the changes were extensive due to the switch from the 0.5 series
releases to 0.6.  Alternatively you could rollback your entire tree to
r189262 (I think) and you'd have the previous code.

>> Jouni just released a 0.6.9
>> version and it appeared to have a fix that might be appropriate.  I need
>> to digest your logs to understand but you can try importing 0.6.9
>> yourself.
>
> I will give it a try. Just now I merged the diffs between 0.6.8 and
> 0.6.9 to my /usr/src. Except for
> wpa_supplicant-0.6.8/src/common/nl80211_copy.h,
> wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/src/l2_packet/l2_packet_linux.c and,
> wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/wpa_supplicant/Makefile
> I was able to apply the diffs.

We do not use any of these files.  You might be better off looking at
diff's between 0.6.8 and 0.6.9 and selectively applying changes to
usr/src/contrib/wpa.  Some of these may be ignored as Jouni took back
some changes I provided him.

Note that usr.sbin/wpa/wpa_supplicant has the driver for freebsd and a
reach-over Makefile; we do not use Jouni's bsd driver or his build
structure.

> I will try this at university on Thursday or Friday and report any
> success or failure here.

I'll try to look at merging 0.6.9 quickly.

    Sam