[HEADSUP] amd64 suspend/resume code to be comitted

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Mar 24 14:14:56 PDT 2009

Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Jung-uk Kim <jkim at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 23 March 2009 05:16 pm, Brandon Gooch wrote:
>>
>>> The committed version is working well, I am suspending and resuming
>>> on my Lenovo X300. Thanks for your work on this, it is one of the
>>> major things I needed to work so I could run FreeBSD primarily on
>>> my notebook.
>>>
> I just finished a kernel build and it seems as though your
> recent commits have fixed the clock (at least for me)!
>
> I feel sorry for all the i386 folks on ACPI notebooks...
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Brandon

Picking a semi-random message here..

Thanks for your work on this!  In the past (months ago) I tried the
patch set which didn't work, but the code in -current lets me suspend
and resume successfully on my Dell Latitude E6500 (acpiconf -s 3)!  I
think this is a first for me, of all the laptops I've had, none have
ever been able to suspend and resume in a successful or useful way, and
I've been jealous of the Thinkpad users that could claim otherwise.  I
could suspend and resume fine while in the console, then I ran startx
and the suspend and resume worked while I was in X with intel graphics,
however my system was slow after that resume.  I didn't spend much time
looking at it since I was at work, and I didn't see any obvious reasons
for the slowness (cpu frequency was fine, cx states were C2 or lower
(C1), top showed mostly idle, no evidence of an IRQ storm) yet processes
ran fairly sluggish (not the mouse or typing though).  I didn't go back
to console, I just shut down without trying any other situations yet.

A tip I want to note for any users who may not have success with their
screen on resume:  In the past it seemed to help me to have a power-on
password set in my BIOS since the BIOS will turn on the screen on resume
to ask me for my password.  I don't know if it is still helping me, but
I've seen in the past where it has.