Booting from usb hard disk

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 23 03:36:39 PDT 2009

So I have my i386 install on a usb hard disk, which I can only boot on
one machine now.  The one machine that I can make work has a bios option
that reads "BIOS ehci handoff".  This used to work with the old usb
stack.  The machines that it doesn't work on, boot the kernel, but fail
to mount root, giving me the forbidding mountroot> prompt, which is
immediately followed by the message saying that da0 is attached.  da0 is
however not listed in the available boot devices list.  I tried playing
around with the timeout in vfs_mount.c, but that didn't seem to have any
impact.  It has been suggested that this may be a "geom" timeout, but I
don't know anything about the boot system really.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD