Apparently spurious ZFS CRC errors (was Re: ZFS data error without reasons)

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Fri Mar 20 08:30:15 PDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Mark Powell wrote:

>  As this same hardware worked, well with 7 for a long time, and can work
> perfectly with 8 for several days until the errors strike, this seems like
> some curious 8 problem?

Hmmm. Perhaps I'm not being fair on 8. Just had a look at my loader.conf
for 7 and I can see that I used to run with every zfs*disable on. I've
just rebooted 8 with:

vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable: 1
vfs.zfs.mdcomp_disable: 1
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable: 1
vfs.zfs.zil_disable: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1

The current fs which produced errors on every scrub now reports no errors.
   I now need to find which option fixed it.
   I suspect hw.ata.wc. Is this still a known issue?
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information & Learning Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,