ata: printf on every spinup/spindown?

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Fri Mar 20 00:48:45 PDT 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:02:58 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <49BE7C5A.2080103 at icyb.net.ua>, Andriy Gapon writes:
>
> >I am playing with ata spindown feature and I think that it is really
> >unnecessary to print a message each time ata driver is going to
> >spindown a disk or let it be spinned up:
> >ad6: Idle, spin down
> >ad6: request while spun down, starting.
> >ad6: drive spun down.
> >ad6: Idle, spin down
> >ad6: request while spun down, starting.
>
> The reason I added the printf was to make it very annoying.
>
> Spinning a disk up and down too often wears it out much faster than
> leaving it running.
>
> In general you do not want to spin a disk down unless it is going to
> stay spun down for at least 15-30 minutes.
>
> If dmesg is going to spin your disk up, then it will wake up every 5
> minutes due to the atrun message and you are clearly doing it wrong.

Related to this, the ATA driver should probably have some means, either
automatically or via atacontrol, of setting the APM value on disks; I
bought a new laptop and immediately had to install
sysutils/ataidle in order to stop the heads loading/unloading several
times per minute by setting APM to 254.  Apparently it's fairly common
for laptop drives to have overly aggressive power settings that need
intervention from the OS.

--
Bruce Cran